Friday, March 20, 2009

Ono Cafe


I will now be affectionately calling it O-yes Café. Ono Cafe is the offspring of Kanak Attack Catering and located on 2170 Broadway Ave. I went here with a few girlfriends last week because it has gotten good reviews and is just around the corner from my house. From the strip mall that it is in and the handpainted sandwich board sign on Broadway I had expected it to be painted teal inside (ya know...because of the ocean) with plastic leis hanging on the walls. Maybe a few palm frawns here and there. I was very wrong and quite impressed. It is really nice inside. You walk in the door to a case of AMAZING looking desserts. It is dark inside, in a good, moody, romantic sort of way. The décor on the walls is Hawaiian, but classy. Not the Zurchers party store decorations that I had been expecting.

My husband and I went to Hawaii on our honeymoon and got to go on a fun Luau. Everything about this place brought back those memories. The names I can't pronounce, the smoky smells, the flame dancers. Ok...no flame dancers but that would have really put it over the edge. I ordered the Hukilau. Mostly because I could say it and also because it was pig. When it came to the table it was glorious. It was smoky shredded pork with coconut rice, fried onions and a bright pink flower for presentation. They really brought their A game. The flavor of the pork was AMAZING! I can't wait to take my husband!

4 sunset inspired forks

No comments:

Post a Comment