Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Big City Coffee

Kid in a candy store. This place is a favorite. Every time family comes to town I either bring them there or take some of their ginormous muffins and scones home with me. This has got to be one of the greatest places in Boise. Very cutesy on the inside with old mismatched tables and chairs, old metal signs and sofas. It is always hit and miss with seating on the weekends but that is part of the charm.












I have been going to the the Linen District location of this shop since it opened and my jaw still hits the floor every time I look at the mounds and mounds of triple-size baked goods. The scones are to die for in any flavor as is the Pumpkin Chai muffin. If you are like me you should probably get both because you won't be able to make up your mind...and they will feed you all day. At under or around $2 a pop Big City Coffee is a happy oasis in this economy.














I am not a coffee drinker but I have heard rave reviews about their blends, including the "Big Titty" and "Double D" breast cancer awareness blends. Everything is made fresh daily including their granola. One of my favorite "healthy options" is the OBGYF. Fresh fruit (and not that junky cantelope/honeydew mixture where all fruit tastes the same) this is the good stuff like berries, fresh pineapple, grapes, apples, bananas and whatever else they can get their hands on layered with vanilla yogurt and crunchy granola.










I just have to go off the deep end here and RAVE about all of my favorites because they are all worth mentioning. They have award-winning quiche and I prefer the sausage/feta flavor. It is a little slice of heaven served up on a plate. The waffles are unique, huge and really dang good. Make sure to bring a small army if you plan on ordering the Biscuits and Gravy because it is HUUUUGE. One of my good friends got that one day and probably ate 1/8 of it...and he was a hungry boy. I am embarrassed to be claiming this but I once got one of their amazing cookie bars and put it in my purse for a girl's trip to Napa. 5 of us snacked on that one bar for the entire weekend. They are super-sized and probably a good indicator of why America is overweight. I can never say no...even at 8 am it goes in my purse for later (at under $2 it is clinically insane not to).

If you haven't been to Big City yet, I hope you aren't reading the end of this entry because you have hopped on your energy efficient bike and are riding at mach speed down there. You should be.

I give this place 5 mismatched, garage sale forks. And if allowed it would get some spoons, knives and whatever else I could throw in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment