Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Le Café de Paris - Frenchy Fun















Duck Flavoring Included
















The Decadent Duo


On Friday night, some girlfriends and I embarked on a dangerous path down dessert tasting lane at Le Café de Paris. The ambiance of this astonishingly accurate recreation of a side-street Paris café is charming the minute you enter the door. A bakery case full of beautifully-made desserts draws you in with its irresistable chocolate tractor beam, where you can join the other patrons oohing and aahing over the exquisite creations while nervously fretting over which one to select. People scattered haphazardly at the bistro tables are aglow with the light of good wine, good friends, and the satisfaction that only an amazingly rich dessert can bring. I was losing precious time trying to make a decision, and when the waitress came over, rushed, I closed my eyes and pointed to the Duo au Chocolat. Fellow blogger Crissie let out a squeal as she spotted the Duck Creme Brulée on the menu. Confused, I asked the waitress why it would be called Duck and she pointed out that it was made with duck eggs. Concerned for my friend, I decided to hold my judgement until her dish arrived and the taste test could be executed. Birthday girl Katie ordered the Tiramisu, which came in a chocolate cup and was so beautiful you almost didn't want to eat it. Jamison ordered a cheese plate (you can select 1-oz. cheese samplings from their extensive selection) and with a bottle of Italian Red we were on our merry way. When the desserts landed, oh Merry Christmas from the Chocolate Fairy. Mine had a a sail of white chocolate laid over a piece of chocolate hazelnut and my mouth was watering with anticipation. I wasted no time, took a picture, and got after it. The Duo did not disappoint, with its layers of dark chocolate mousse and white chocolate mousse melting in my mouth. It wasn't too heavy or too rich... dare this blogger say, it was perfect.

On to the wild game brulee. Upon first glance my friend's way, I knew something wasn't right. Fellow Blogger Crissie considers herself to be somewhat of a brulee aficionado and I don't think she saw this one coming in a million. I may have seen a single tear trying to make its way out of the corner of her eye as her fork hovered above the dish after the first bite taken. I gave it a whirl and oh holy heavens what is that taste. Not being a huge creme brulee fan, this aftertaste was pushing the envelope in ways I never thought possible. I have never eaten duck in my life, but if I did I would imagine this is what Grandma Duck that been around the pond a few times tasted like. Imagine that with cream and a crusted sugary top and that was my fellow blogger's experience. Needless to say, I don't think wild game belongs anywhere near the dessert table and Crissie couldn't even get through the dish, which was heartbreaking after her excitement to order it.

The Tiramisu consisted of fantastically rich layers of coffee flavored deliciousness and biting the cup reminded me of the old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when Gene Wilder bites the teacup when he's singing. Weird? Yes. Tasty. Double Yes. Did you ever see ducks waddling around in the Chocolate Factory? Lesson Learned. And the geese that lay golden eggs don't count.



















Tiramisu Treat


I give Café du Paris 4.5 Chocolate dipped forks with a few feathers on the end for a great escape from the everyday, although I don't think my fellow blogger had quite the same experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment